In a new column beginning here on DCXIV, we are taking a look at some of the amazing things that have happened in history this week. This week we look at meteors in the sky, the birth of Indycar, evolution, NASA losing something, Bin Laden warning America, Texas scoring a lot of runs and Pete Rose being Pete Rose. Oh… and a few people were born.
Monday, August 18th
- In 1783, A huge fireball meteor is seen across England as it passes over the eastern coast. Americans denied asking the God of Thunder, Thor to come fight on their behalf. The British still blame it on Columbus for proving the world is round centuries earlier leading to the colonization in the first place.
- Born on this day in 1969 is Fight Club founder and some time Incredible Hulk, Edward Norton who turns 45. During his more angry years he would also star in American History X.
Tuesday, August 19th
- In 1909, the first automobile race would take place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Home of the Indy 500 and countless other major races over the years and the birth to modern day indycar racing. Yes, before Nascar drivers would bootleg moonshine, Indy was a race track.
- Born on this day in 1883 was famed fashion designer Coco Chanel. She would be 131 years old if she sadly didn’t pass away in 1971. She left behind a legacy and a brand that to this day is a standard in fashion.
Wednesday, August 20th
- In 1858, Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution is first published in “The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London”. He is currently still owed royalty checks from every Planet of the Apes and variant of the series ever made. Studio’s claim they mailed them but the church stole them and signed them “Adam” but the bank wouldn’t cash them.
- Born on this day in 1992 is pop music and former Disney star Demi Lovato. Little known fact that Demi actually made her debut alongside purple people eater on Barney and Friends.
Thursday, August 21th
- In 1993, NASA loses contact with the spacecraft, Mars Observer. Thus, an entire generation believes little tiny Martians that look like Marvin the Martian are shooting down our spacecrafts. Life on Mars is kept secret for a few more decades. Though a possible but most likely not finding of water occured and we will probably but most likely not be landing on Mars in the near future to take over. Wait… are we the Aliens that consume other planets?
- Born on this day in 1938 is the gambler man himself, country music legend Kenny Rogers. Still at the age 76 he continues to make money knowing when to hold them and when to fold them.
Friday, August 22th
- In 2007, the Texas Rangers would go on to score 30 runs in a game against the Baltimore Orioles. A game the Rangers won by a score of 30-3. Somewhere Cal Ripken Jr and Eddie Murphy were breaking their TV sets. Though I’m sure both turned off the game some point after the 15th or 16th run.
- Born on this day in 1973 is funny woman and actress Kristen Wiig. Most notable for her role on NBC’s Saturday Night Live, she has also starred in movies such as Despicable Me and TV shows such as Arrested Development.
Saturday, August 23th
- In 1996, Osama Bin Laden releases a warning of war in a message entitled “A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.” Five years before the September 11th attacks in 2001. Three different presidents would go on to purse Bin Laden before he was finally killed in a raid on his compound in Pakistan on May 2, 2011.
- Born on this day in 1978 is NBA player Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers. The future Hall of Famer is turning 36.
Sunday, August 24th
- In 1989, Pete Rose was banned for life from baseball for gambling involving the Reds and teams they played against by commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti. Rose, the All-time hits leader in Major League Baseball has yet to be allowed into the Hall of Fame and to this day remains banned from Major League Baseball in an official capacity. However, Rose is included in the WWE Hall of Fame.
- Born on this day in 1986 is NFL running back Arian Foster of the Houston Texans. He is turning 28.